An iOS app I am writing an API for is using Apple Universal links. For this feature to work, the server must serve a JSON file called apple-app-site-association but without an extension.
Problem: NGINX serves this file as application/octet-stream while iOS is expecting an application/json MIME type.
I tried forcing the type for this file in the config file but nothing that I googled worked.
Finally I decided to rename the file to apple-app-site-association.json in order to have the correct MIME type automatically set, but knowing that iOS would take nothing of that I added a rewrite rule. This rewrite rule serves the apple-app-site-association.json file when the apple-app-site-association file is requested:
rewrite /.well-known/apple-app-site-association /.well-known/apple-app-site-association.json;